Counseling is to help people to adjust the changes and transition in life. It also help and assist people to deal with daily conflict. It is one of the ways for Christians to show care, love and support to one another through listening and counsel. It may require some theories or understanding about psychological development of human. The Word of God is still the core to help people to come out or to know how to adjust their life situation.
- The pastor should be able to understand the biblical foundation of counseling and to explain the importance of knowing how to counsel people as a body of Christ.
- The pastor should be able to listen to others. He/she must practice listening skills.
- The pastor should be sensitive and be able to observe people in order to know what is in their hearts and minds.
- The pastor should attend some biblical and helpful seminars about how to counsel people.
- The pastor should be able to express his/her feeling appropriately in situations like accidents, tragedies, lose of a family, losing jobs,etc. (in difficult life situations)
- The pastor should be able to listen actively so that he/she can grasp the core problem or issues of this client.
- The pastor should know the difference between confronting and attacking. And he/she should know how to avoid attacking others in the mist of counseling, but at the same time knows how to help the person to see and to admit his/her problem.
- The pastor should be able to find some church members who are also gifted in this area, and willing to develop them into good helpers in this ministry.
- The pastor should know that counseling cannot resolve every problem. Only God’s power can change people’s hearts.