Course Description and Purpose
A study of the nature, origin, inspiration, development, literary characteristics, and ethical content of the Bible.
The course will show the value of understanding the Bible in its historical, geographical, linguistic, and literary setting. Students will be able to explain ways in which God intervenes in time and space, and how this worldview is supported by the inspired Scriptures. Students will be able to tell the large story of the Bible to non-believers. Students will apply underlying biblical principles of holy love in their lives as a godly example to others.
Many people have not read the whole Bible or been exposed to the wide range of stories found in it. This survey course introduces outlines that will help student grasp the flow of the story through Scripture and give them a basic launching point for further study. It also emphasizes devotional methods so that Scripture is not just an object of study but an interaction with the loving God who created them. Students will identify ways that God intervenes in time and space to reveal Himself to build faith and provide assurance. Prayer and answered prayer are key elements in that experience. The same types of experiences build a connecting bridge between the people of God today and those in the biblical stories.
- Introduction to the Bible Notes
- Studymap on the Bible
- Discussion Questions
- Video Lectures
- Recommended Reading
- Branson, Green, Edlin, Varughese. Discovering the Old Testament: Story and Faith.
- Varughese, Hahn, Neale, Serrao, Spross, Tashjian.Discovering the New Testament: Community and Faith.
- Varughese. Discovering the Bible.
- McCumber, William E.The Bible Speaks to Me About My Beliefs
- Earle, Ralph. How We Got Our Bible
- Earle, Ralph. The Story of the New Testament
- Winchester, Olive. Story of the Old Testament
- Telling the New Testament Story of God. RIIE Course Module
- Telling the Old Testament Story of God. RIIE Course Module
- Tracing the Story of the Bible. RIIE Course Module
- Bible Survey. Africa Modular Course